Farmers’ Clubs are grassroot level informal forums of farmers. Such Clubs are organised by rural branches of banks, NGOs and KVKs with the support and financial assistance of NABARD for the mutual benefit of the village farming community/rural people.
The broad objective of setting up Farmers’ Clubs would be to achieve prosperity for the farmers with overall agricultural development in its area of operation by facilitating credit counseling, technology counseling and market counseling. The main motto of Farmers clubs is Development in rural areas through credit, technology transfer, awareness and capacity building.
Benefits of Farmers’ Clubs:
- Increase in Savings.
- Increase in the credit flow and diversification of lending.
- Generation of new business avenues.
- Increase in the recoveries and decline in the non-performing assets.
- Socio economic development of the village.
- Enhancement in bargaining power for bulk purchase of inputs and marketing of their produce.
NABARD’s support to Farmers’ Club Programme
NABARD’s policy support for Farmers’ Club Programe lays stress on linking technologies with farmers’ club members and also facilitating market access through the following mechanism
- Capacity building of members of Farmers’ Clubs including leadership training.
- Linkage with technology/markets
- Self Help Groups (SHGs)/Joint Liability Groups (JLGs) formation
- Forming Federations of Farmers’ Clubs/Producers’ Groups/Companies
Ekalavya Foundation has fully realized the potential benefits of Farmers clubs and spent considerable time and energy to sensitize villagers/farmers to come together for mutual benefit. Today Farmers clubs have become backbone of village economy and by encouraging peoples’ participation at every level of decision making, Farmers clubs functioning has strengthened the democratic tradition in villages. A significant feature of Ekalavya Farmers clubs is that women in large numbers are actively in involved in day to day activities of these clubs.
Farmers Clubs at the end of March 2018
|Sl||District||No. of Clubs||No. of Farmers||No. of Villages||Value of Savings (Lakhs)||Clubs being Supported by NABARD||Clubs Regular Meetings Being Conducted|